Friday, February 23, 2007

Chinese New Year - The Down Side...

Okay, enough all ready!

Chinese New Year lasts for 15 days, and I'm wondering how long the whole 'firecracker' thing is going to go on....There's no sense to it. People randomly light firecrackers at random times, for no apparent reason.

So, you're lying in bed at 6:30 in the morning, and all of a sudden, there's a gun fight outside your window! Or at 11:17am, or at 3:37pm or at 7:44pm, or 2:26am....

And remember how I mentioned there was no insulation in Taiwan, well...insulation keeps more than just cold weather out...it also keeps sound out! Given the configuration of our apartment complex, there's a series of corridors between buildings, and it amplifies the sound. You never know when they'll go off (like right now!).

Enough already!!

3 comments:

Cheetsy said...

Yeah I totally agree, I've been in Taiwan for about a year an a half, and they don't seem to have any problems with noise at any time in the day.

Just look at those horrid advertising vans that go round blasting rubbish through your walls.

I also live in an appartment complex, on the seventh floor, and even that doesn't do much to help drown out the noise of the randomly timed firecrackers!!

James said...

Hey! Someone's reading? Wow....

Turns out, the firecrackers are for the reopening of businesses after Chinese New Year. So, that's why so many of them seem to occur early in the morning.

Still pretty noisy, though.

Cheetsy said...

Haha, yeah, I've got my own blog about my life in Taiwan too, was looking round for similar blogs and found yours haha, yours is more topical than mine tho, I tend to just blabber on about random things. Yeah the firecrackers are starting to ease off here in Yuan-Lin.