Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Why blog?

First off, if anybody knows how to set Trebuchet and small font sizes as default, let me know ASAP!

Why do we blog? This blog has gone all crooked. I was supposed to document all my goals and successes. I have no idea what I'm doing. Rambling, I suppose.

I've been reading my sister's blog (hi Aly) and I've come to the conclusion that I've become old and outdated. Her writing is so much more sophisticated than mine, and yet cooler too. Something about being a grad student...she's left me in the dust, intellectually. I can barely get up in the morning anymore, and she's kicking ass....good for you kid!

However, I feel so stagnant. Perhaps Taiwan might help, but I suspect that after the novelty wears off, it'll be more of the same for me (anger, frustration, and an assortment of other negative emotions about the state of the world these days). Don't believe me? Just check out global dimming, GM foods and the current debate around asparatame, and the fact that Danielle quit what should have been a perfectly good job that turned out to be shit on all fronts.

North America is sick, and it's getting sicker. The Malaise of Modernity indeed. Maybe I should try and actually FINISH my philosophy degree in earnest. With my properties, I could AFFORD grad school. Maybe I'm just jealous of Alyson. I think leaving the continent for an extended period of time will be good for me. Get rid of my car and most of my lowly possessions. Rethink the way I view my life and the world, maybe actually get back to my Buddhist roots....

Ironically, it's the longing and the anger and frustration that have moved me from my center. Just as North America is sick (and getting sicker), so am I.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey James

If you're jealous of me, it's probably the first time EVER. And I can't believe that you think my writing is "cool". Half of the time I don't even proof-read my blogs. Or I type them, read them, and then have to edit them due to all of the mistakes.

Do you really think that you'd be happy in grad school? I mean, it's fun and all, but it's not for everyone. And I'm not doing all that well. I'm behind in my research and I have a lot of work to do. There's a lot of work that I'm expected to do, but I just plain don't want to do. I'm trying, but I know that I have to work harder. I really have to put more effort into my research and stop putting things off.

I don't really know what to suggest for you.....I want to say Buddhism, but that sounds so trite and easy. Like you can just follow a dogma and you'll be able to find some peace and happiness. I don't know. I don't know how people go about these sorts of things. I'm lucky in that I enjoy what I do and I like going in to work, so even when I'm feeling lonely or depressed, I don't have that feeling of helplessness; or that feeling of being trapped

I wish I had some advice. I hope you go to Taiwan and enjoy it. Maybe just being in a different culture will help give you a new perspective

Good luck
Al