Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Introductory Post

Here it is.

Since I just sent out a mass email to most people on my list, I'll briefly update my situation.

Living back in North Bay, working at the music store (D is teaching at Widdifield), trying to figure out how to really do what we want to do (or as the books all say: "retire rich, retire early"). So I'm busy taking care of a couple of houses (3 apartments, plus where we're living). Part of this blog's purpose is to let people know what the plans are, to help light a fire under my ass, and keep me moving; part is to keep those people I don't regularly communicate with informed about what I'm doing (and maybe help me increase my correspondence with my friends); part is to document my progress towards my goals (I've never been much of an effective goal setter).

So, working, landlording (yes, it is now a verb!), trying to find some sort of balance in my life (with all my so-called education, I'm still seriously lacking in the sort of knowledge that brings actual happiness) although things are outstanding between D and I (nothing but blind luck there!) so at least something is working for me.

Two important goals for me are to gain control over my weight and my bipolar states. I need to find some middle ground instead of constantly swinging between mania and depression, without the aid of medication or psychiatric intervention. Also, D and I are looking for a way to earn a living without selling our lives (beginning with apartments and ending with total passive income, but what's in between). Oh, and if you don't know what I mean about passive income, you need to email me!!

Again, with my so-called education, I never actually learned how to take care of myself, either emotionally, or financially. Well, the last year has been eye-opening, in terms of gaining some competence concerning financial matters. Current projections put us at retirement (from having to work) at 5 years, and millionaire status in about 10 (not that really matters--it's just a number), but I'm stating here and now, for the record, that these are our timelines, and they're entirely realistic.

Emotionally, I've been working for a long time, and Buddhism (as some of you know) has been my method of investigation. I'm continuing down that path (one that had become somewhat of a blur to me over the last few years) but with a more modern tilt to it. Living authentically and holistically is my main goal, hence the new focus on financial issues, which was until recently, the most neglected element of my life.

NEways, I hope this brief introduction helped give perspective to things, and I hope to hear from many of you whom I haven't had much contact with in awhile. Send me the links to your blog, and I'll post them here. Hope everyone's doing well in the new year, and here's to a fantastic and productive 2006!

~James~


No comments: